Participation Assistance for Farmers and Farmers' Markets - Grant Program
Increasing the participation of Direct Marketing Farmers and Farmers’ Markets (DMFs/FMs) in SNAP, to improve access to fresh fruits and vegetables by low-income Americans, is a USDA priority.
SNAP benefits are issued on electronic benefits transfer or EBT cards that are used like debit cards. Traditional payment processing equipment is wired (not wireless). Using this equipment is often impractical for farmers’ markets and farm stands.
Through a cooperative agreement, the National Association of Farmers Market Nutrition Programs (NAFMNP) is providing access to a SNAP Mobile Application (The App) by DMFs/FMs free of cost, for one-year. The App enables DMFs/FMs to accept SNAP EBT payments on their own smart device.
If you are the owner/manager of a DMF/FM and are interested in receiving assistance in participating in SNAP, as described below, please visit the NAFMNP website for further information.
Purpose of the Grant
The primary goals of this grant are to:
- increase the participation of DMFs/FMs in SNAP, and thereby
- improve access to fresh fruits and vegetables by SNAP recipients.
Grant resources will be used to:
- Conduct outreach to DMFs/FMs that are not currently SNAP authorized.
- Provide access to a SNAP Mobile Transaction Processing Application (The App) to DMFs/FMs free of cost, for one-year, which:
- enables SNAP-authorized DMFs/FMs to use their own mobile devices to accept SNAP benefits, and
- allows the processing of credit/debit transactions, and
- Provide training and technical support for DMFs/FMs in applying for SNAP authorization and on-going participation in SNAP.
Funding and Duration
Contingent on the availability of funds, FNS plans to award a maximum of $4 million to be used over a maximum of four (4) years for this grant opportunity.
Other Equipment Support
Please visit the EBT Equipment page to learn about other options.