|DATE:||June 11, 2021|
|MEMO CODE:||SP15 CACFP13 SFSP08-2021|
|SUBJECT:||Questions and Answers for Child Nutrition Program Operations in School Year 2021-22|
Special Nutrition Programs
Child Nutrition Programs
This memorandum includes questions and answers intended to provide clarification to state agencies and program operators as they operate the child nutrition programs, including the National School Lunch Program (NSLP), School Breakfast Program (SBP), NSLP Seamless Summer Option (SSO), and Child and Adult Care Food Program (CACFP), during school year (SY) 2021-22.
Pursuant to authority in Section 2202(a) of the Families First Coronavirus Response Act (the FFCRA) (PL 116-127), as extended by the Continuing Appropriations Act, 2021 and Other Extensions Act (PL 116-159), and based on the exceptional circumstances of this public health emergency, the Food and Nutrition Service (FNS) has issued several nationwide waivers and flexibilities to support a successful reopening of school and child care in SY 2021-22. The waivers, released on April 20, 2021, include:
- Nationwide Waiver to Allow the Seamless Summer Option through SY 2021-22
- Nationwide Waiver to Allow Summer Food Service Program Reimbursement Rates in SY 2021-22
- Nationwide Waiver to Allow Non-Congregate Meal Service for SY 2021-22
- Nationwide Waiver of Meal Time Requirements for SY 2021-22
- Nationwide Waiver to Allow Parents and Guardians to Pick Up Meals for Children for SY 2021-22
- Nationwide Waiver to Allow Specific School Meal Pattern Flexibility for SY 2021-22
- Nationwide Waiver to Allow Specific Meal Pattern Flexibility in the CACFP for SY 2021-22
- Nationwide Waiver to Allow Offer Versus Serve Flexibility for Senior High Schools in SY 2021-22
- Nationwide Waiver of Area Eligibility in the Afterschool Programs and for Family Day Care Home Providers in SY 2021-22
- Nationwide Waiver of Onsite Monitoring Requirements in the School Meals Programs – Revised – EXTENSION 3
- Nationwide Waiver of Onsite Monitoring Requirements for State Agencies in the Child and Adult Care Food Program – EXTENSION 3
- Nationwide Waiver of Monitoring Requirements for Sponsors in the Child and Adult Care Food Program – EXTENSION
Child nutrition program nationwide waivers for SY 2021-22 may be found at: https://www.fns.usda.gov/disaster/pandemic/cn-2021-22-waivers-and-flexibilities.
FNS appreciates the exceptional efforts of state agencies and local program operators working to meet the nutritional needs of child and adult participants during this challenging time. State agencies are reminded to distribute this memorandum to program operators immediately. Program operators should direct any questions concerning this guidance to their state agency. State agencies with questions should contact the appropriate FNS regional office.
Angela M. Kline
Policy and Program Development Division