Questions and Answers for Child Nutrition Program Operations in School Year 2021-2022, Q&A #2
|DATE:||September 29, 2021|
|POLICY MEMO:||SP 22-2021, CACFP 17-2021, SFSP 10-2021|
|SUBJECT:||Questions and Answers for Child Nutrition Program Operations in School Year 2021-2022, Q&A #2|
Special Nutrition Programs
Child Nutrition Programs
This memorandum includes questions and answers intended to provide clarification to state agencies and program operators as they operate the child nutrition programs, including the National School Lunch Program (NSLP), School Breakfast Program, NSLP Seamless Summer Option and Child and Adult Care Food Program, during school year (SY) 2021-2022.
Pursuant to authority in Section 2202(a) of the Families First Coronavirus Response Act (the FFCRA) (PL 116-127), as extended by the Continuing Appropriations Act 2021 and Other Extensions Act (PL 116-159) and based on the exceptional circumstances of this public health emergency, the Food and Nutrition Service (FNS) has issued several nationwide waivers and flexibilities to support a successful reopening of schools and childcare in SY 2021-2022. The waivers include:
- Nationwide Waiver to Allow the Seamless Summer Option through School Year 2021-2022
- Nationwide Waiver to Allow Summer Food Service Program Reimbursement Rates in School Year 2021-2022
- Nationwide Waiver to Allow Non-Congregate Meal Service for School Year 2021-2022
- Nationwide Waiver of Meal Time Requirements for School Year 2021-2022
- Nationwide Waiver to Allow Parents and Guardians to Pick Up Meals for Children for School Year 2021-2022
- Nationwide Waiver to Allow Specific School Meal Pattern Flexibility for School Year 2021-2022
- Nationwide Waiver to Allow Specific Meal Pattern Flexibility in the Child and Adult Care Food Program for School Year 2021-2022
- Nationwide Waiver to Allow Offer Versus Serve Flexibility for Senior High Schools in School Year 2021-2022
- Nationwide Waiver of Area Eligibility in the Afterschool Programs and for Family Day Care Home Providers in School Year 2021-2022
- Nationwide Waiver of Onsite Monitoring Requirements in the School Meals Programs – Revised – EXTENSION 3
- Nationwide Waiver of Onsite Monitoring Requirements for State Agencies in the Child and Adult Care Food Program – EXTENSION 3
- Nationwide Waiver of Monitoring Requirements for Sponsors in the Child and Adult Care Food Program – EXTENSION
- Nationwide Waiver of Local School Wellness Policy Triennial Assessments in the National School Lunch and School Breakfast Programs
- Nationwide Waiver to Provide Flexibility for School Meal Programs Administrative Reviews of School Food Authorities Operating Only the Seamless Summer Option in School Year (SY) 2021-2022
Child Nutrition Program Nationwide Waivers for SY 2021-2022 may be found at: https://www.fns.usda.gov/disaster/pandemic/cn-2021-22-waivers-and-flexibilities.
FNS appreciates the exceptional efforts of state agencies and local program operators working to meet the nutritional needs of child and adult participants during this challenging time. State agencies are reminded to distribute this memorandum to program operators immediately. Program operators should direct any questions concerning this guidance to their state agency. State agencies with questions should contact the appropriate FNS regional office.
Angela M. Kline
Policy and Program Development Division
The contents of this guidance document do not have the force and effect of law and are not meant to bind the public in any way. This document is intended only to provide clarity to the public regarding existing requirements under the law or agency policies.