SNAP Grant Opportunity for States Using Third Party Income Databases for Verification – FY 2021
FNS is pleased to announce a non-competitive grant opportunity for state SNAP agencies that use third party income databases, including but not limited to Equifax's "The Work Number," to verify earned income as part of their household eligibility determination process. Approximately $20 million is available for these grants for fiscal year (FY) 2021, contingent on the availability of federal funding.
The purpose of these grants is to gather information and data about how, when, and to what effect states use third party income databases to verify earned income, and the cost for these services.
Eligibility Criteria for the FY 2021 Non-Competitive Grants
To participate and receive funding through these grants, states must meet certain evaluation requirements. Eligible states will use the grant funds to offset the expense of their contracts for these income verification services and to provide evaluation data to FNS.
- The state must be using or anticipate using a third party income database, such as but not limited to Equifax's “The Work Number,” to verify earned income as part of their household eligibility determination process as of Oct. 1, 2021.
- The state must provide FNS with the cost and cost-related terms of its current contract/agreement with the third party income database. The state must provide this information with the required grant application (please see below for how to apply). If, when it applies for this grant, the state is not using a third party income database to verify earned income as part of their process to determine a household's eligibility, but anticipates doing so by Oct. 1, 2021, it must explain the circumstances in its application and provide the cost and cost-related terms of the contract after it is finalized.
- The state must provide FNS with answers to the questions in the Enclosure B. The state must provide this information with the required grant application.
- The state must meet the evaluation requirements below and detailed in the Enclosure C. The state must provide this data to FNS by the required due dates. If, when it applies for this grant, the state is not using a third party income database, but anticipates doing so by Oct. 1, 2021, FNS will adjust due dates accordingly.
FNS awarded grants to three states in FY 2020 to conduct a similar evaluation. States awarded grants in FY 2020 through the Non-Competitive Grant Opportunity for States using Automated Income Data Sources for Income Verification may also participate in this grant opportunity provided they apply and meet all eligibility requirements.
How to Apply
To apply for a non-competitive grant, interested states must submit a one page proposal and accompanying one page budget narrative by no later than close of business Friday, May 21, 2021. Application instructions are below.
- A proposal of no more than three pages that includes the following:
- The name of the third party database used by the state to verify household income;
- The cost and terms of the state's current contract with the third party database;
- Answers to the list of questions in Enclosure B; and
- A description of how the state would fulfill the evaluation requirement summarized in Enclosure C. Please note any considerations regarding data availability.
- A one-page budget narrative describing the federal funds requested in SF-424A, including detailed calculation stating how the amount of funds requested were derived.
States must apply at https://www.grants.gov. Click “Get Started,” then search for the opportunity number: USDA-FNS-SNAP-21-IDSV. Please note that this opportunity cannot be found using the general search function on grants.gov because it is a non-competitive award.
Applicants must use Firefox or Internet Explorer to download instructions from the opportunity page. Google Chrome and Microsoft Edge will not work for downloading purposes.
Required Grant Application Forms
- SF-424 Application and Instruction for Federal Assistance
- SF-424A Budget Information and Instruction
- SF-424B Assurance-Non-Construction Programs
- SF-LLL (Disclosure of Lobbying Activities): Indicate on the form whether your organization intends to conduct lobbying activities. If your organization does not intend to lobby, write “Not Applicable.”
- Forms AD-1047-1049 and AD-10-1052, as applicable
- FNS-906 Grant Program and Accounting System Questionnaire (attached)
- When awards are made, state agencies and FNS will sign a FNS-529 Grant Award form.
- A fully executed FNS-529 agreement, with terms and conditions, will serve as the official grant agreement.
Catalog of Domestic Federal Assistance (CFDA)
The Catalog of Domestic Federal Assistance number for this grant project award is: 10.561
Selected applicants will be required to provide quarterly narrative progress reports utilizing FNS-908, and provide financial status reports quarterly through the Food Program Reporting System (FPRS). Additional details will be provided in the Terms and Conditions of the Award.
Application Due Date
Complete grant applications must be uploaded to www.grants.gov by 11:59 PM, Eastern Daylight Time, on Friday, May 21, 2021.
- Late applications will not be considered.
- FNS will not consider additions or revisions to applications once they are submitted.
- Grant awards are subject to the availability of funding and/or appropriations of funds.
If you have further questions on this grant opportunity, please contact your FNS regional office.