The Nutrition Services Standards are designed to help State and local WIC agencies self-assess how well they currently deliver a wide range of nutrition services and how to improve the delivery and quality of nutrition services.
The Standards represent a wide range of performance practices used to deliver quality WIC nutrition services and are flexible enough to be used in the many types of agencies that administer the WIC Program.
The Nutrition Services Standards were developed through a joint effort between FNS and the National WIC Association. The final document is the product of this collaborative and inclusive process.
The standards are intended to provide WIC State and local agencies with a tool to:
- Inspire the revitalization of quality nutrition services in WIC
- Identify Federal requirements related to quality nutrition services
- Assess the delivery of quality nutrition services to participants
- Identify areas needing improvement
- Determine staff training, technical assistance and resource needs
- Develop and implement State and local agency policies and procedures
- Assist in developing State and local agency nutrition services plans
- Evaluate progress toward strengthening or enhancing nutrition services
The Nutrition Services Standards are available at the WIC Works Resource System, at