The goal and purpose of the guidance and resources on this page is to ensure consistent standards applicable to WIC EBT and enable efficient application of WIC EBT business practices into automated cash register systems supporting food retail vendors.
FNS Handbook 901 - Advance Planning Documents: FNS Handbook 901 describes FNS policies and procedures that state agencies must follow in order to receive federal funding to develop, acquire, and/or implement information systems (IS) that support the operation of FNS programs.
- The Operating Rules (OR) and Technical Implementation Guide (TIG) are technical resources for states to apply in their EBT implementation projects for consistency in WIC EBT online purchase messages and file handling processes utilized by both smart card/offline and magstrip/online WIC EBT systems. These resources are used by all state agencies, authorized WIC vendors and EBT industry stakeholders.
- WIC Universal MIS-EBT Interface standardizes functional requirements for the Universal Interface between Management Information Systems (MIS) and Electronic Benefit Transfer (EBT) systems used to operate the Special Supplemental Nutrition Program for Women, Infants, and Children (WIC).
- WIC Universal MIS-EBT Interface (June 2022)
- Functional Requirements Document (FReD) for a Model WIC Information System provides a comprehensive description of functions that can be automated to support the WIC Program.
- Functional Requirements Document (FReD) for WIC (Version 2, FY 2008)
Additional EBT Guidance and Resources
- National UPC Database serves as a centralized repository for information about food products which have been authorized for redemption by WIC state agencies operating EBT systems.
- Cost Analysis Guidance
- ANSI Standards for WIC EBT - Enter the ANSI document number in the search box for the links below.
For more information on WIC EBT policy guides, documents and additional EBT information, go to WIC EBT Document Library.