The goal and purpose of the guidance and resources on this page is to ensure consistent standards applicable to WIC EBT and enable efficient application of WIC EBT business practices into automated cash register systems supporting food retail vendors.
FNS Handbook 901 - Advance Planning Documents - FNS Handbook 901 describes FNS policies and procedures that State agencies must follow in order to receive Federal funding to develop, acquire, and/or implement information systems (IS) that support the operation of FNS programs. Chapter 4.0 provides supplemental guidance for implementing the APD process for State agencies that administer and oversee the WIC program.
- Operating Rules & Technical Implementation Guide , Women, Infants and Children (WIC) - The purpose of the Operating Rules is to enable the incorporation of WIC EBT business practices into automated cash register systems supporting food retail vendors where ever these systems are used within the United States. The purpose of the Technical Implementation Guide is to provide the implementation framework for Online and Smart Card WIC EBT.
- MIS-EBT Universal Interface
- Universal MIS-EBT Interface Specification (March 2015) - This document standardizes the functional requirements for the Universal Interface between the WIC Management Information Systems (WIC MIS) and the WIC Electronic Benefit Transfer systems (WIC EBT system) used in the Special Supplemental Food Program for Women, Infants and Children (WIC) nutrition program.
- The latest release of the WIC Universal MIS-EBT Interface Specification document dated March 2015 is now available. The document has been updated from the June 2012 version based on the comments reviewed and accepted
- Functional Requirements Document (FReD) - Functional Requirements Document (FReD) for a Model WIC Information System provides a comprehensive description of functions that can be automated to support the WIC Program.
- WIC EBT Systems Testing Guidelines - This document is designed as a guide to assist the states as they plan, prepare for, and execute testing of their WIC EBT systems.
- WIC EBT Systems Testing Guidelines (June 2002)
Additional EBT Guidance and Resources
Policy 2017-1: New MIS Guidelines and Revised Procedures for EBT and MIS Grant Funding - This policy memorandum sets forth updated WIC Management Information System (MIS) guidelines and Electronic Benefits Transfer (EBT) and MIS funding guidance to facilitate the implementation of statewide WIC EBT systems. As background, the Healthy, Hunger-Free Kids Act of 2010 (P.L. 111-296) amended the Child Nutrition Act of 1966 (P.L. 111-296), to require all WIC State agencies to implement EBT systems by October 1, 2020, unless granted an exemption by the Secretary. In order to meet the mandate, WIC MIS must be able to support the transition from paper food instruments to EBT.
- National UPC Database - The NUPC Database will serve as a centralized repository for information about food products which have been authorized for redemption by WIC State agencies operating EBT systems.
- Cost Analysis Guidance
- ANSI Standards for WIC EBT - Enter the ANSI document number in the search box for the links below.
For more information on WIC EBT Policy guides, documents and additional EBT information, go to WIC EBT Document Library.