WIC: Implementation of the Electronic Benefit Transfer-Related Provisions of PL 111-296 - Final Rule
WIC : Implementation of the Electronic Benefit Transfer-Related Provisions of PL 111-296 - Final Rule
This final rule revises regulations governing the WIC Program, incorporating the provisions set forth in the Healthy, Hunger-Free Kids Act of 2010 (HHFKA) related to Electronic Benefit Transfer (EBT) for the WIC Program. The HHFKA was signed into law on Dec. 13, 2010. The HHFKA amended provisions of the Child Nutrition Act of 1966 (42 USC 1771 et seq.) (CNA).
The EBT provisions of the HHFKA included in this final rule are:
- definitions of EBT, EBT capable, statewide, single-function equipment, and multi-function equipment;
- a mandate that all WIC State agencies implement EBT systems by Oct. 1, 2020;
- system management and reporting requirements;
- revisions to current provisions that prohibit imposition of costs on vendors;
- a requirement for the Secretary of Agriculture to establish minimum lane equipage standards;
- a requirement for the Secretary of Agriculture to establish technical standards and operating rules; and
- a requirement that state agencies use the National Universal Product Code (NUPC) database.
Agency Information Collection Activities; Proposals, Submissions, and Approvals: WIC Program
Comments are invited on:
- whether the proposed collection of information is necessary for the proper performance of the functions of the agency, including whether the information shall have practical utility;
- the accuracy of the agency's estimate of the burden of the proposed collection of information, including the validity of the methodology and assumptions that were used;
- ways to enhance the quality, utility, and clarity of the information to be collected; and
- ways to minimize the burden of the collection of information on those who are to respond, including use of appropriate automated, electronic, mechanical, or other technological collection techniques or other forms of information technology.
Comments may be mailed to:
Chief, WIC EBT Branch
Supplemental Food Programs Division, Food and Nutrition Service, USDA
3101 Park Center Drive Room 522
Alexandria, Virginia 22302
Comments will be accepted through the Federal eRulemaking Portal. Go to regulations.gov and follow the instructions for submitting comments electronically.
All responses to this notice will be summarized and included in the request for Office of Management and Budget approval. All comments will be a matter of public record.