The 2024 application period opens on Oct. 10, 2023 and closes on Dec. 15, 2023.
What are the awards?
Recognition will be given at 3 levels of performance:
- Gold Award
- Premiere Award (mid-level)
- Elite Award (highest level award)
Local WIC agencies may apply for any award level and will receive the highest eligible award based on the criteria as noted in the application instructions.
Who can apply?
- Must be a local WIC agency*
- Must have operated a peer counseling program for at least 1 year
- Peer counseling program must meet all of the required core components of the FNS WIC Breastfeeding Model for Peer Counseling for a successful peer counseling program.
*Local WIC agencies designated by state WIC agencies on WIC Local Agency Directory Report Form FNS–648.
Instructions and Applications
The instructions and applications are available on WIC Works Resource System during the application period. The application is linked on the top of this home page or can be located by selecting the dropdown menu and selecting ‘Apply for a WIC Breastfeeding Award of Excellence'.
- In 2022 FNS awarded WIC Breastfeeding Award to 97 WIC local agencies: 85 Gold, including 2 Tribal Organizations, and 12 Premiere.
- In 2021 FNS awarded WIC Breastfeeding Award to 102 WIC local agencies: 90 Gold, including 1 Tribal Organization, and 11 Premiere and 1 Elite.
- In 2020 FNS awarded WIC Breastfeeding Award to 111 WIC local agencies: 99 Gold, including 3 Tribal Organizations, and 12 Premiere.
- In 2019 FNS awarded 100 WIC local agencies: 84 Gold, including 1 Tribal Organization, and 16 Premiere.
- In 2018 FNS awarded 90 certificates: 78 Gold and 12 Premiere.
- In 2017 FNS awarded 90 certificates: 83 Gold, including 5 Tribal Organizations, 6 Premiere and 1 Elite.
- In 2016 FNS awarded 83 certificates: 75 Gold and 8 Premiere.
- In 2015 FNS awarded 55 certificates: 50 Gold and 5 Premiere.