Team Nutrition Garden Resources
Team Nutrition has several resources to connect nutrition education to school and child care gardens, local farms, and farmers markets. We also offer evidenced-based curricula that educators can use to integrate garden-based nutrition education lessons into core educational subjects, such as Math, English Language Arts, and Science. From small pots and container gardens to full garden plots, we have materials that can fit your needs and resources. Schools, summer sites, and child care (centers, homes and sponsors) that participate in USDA’s child nutrition programs may request free printed copies of many of these materials.
Use these resources to teach children where their foods come from and get them excited about eating more fruits and vegetables. Remember, healthy habits take root when kids are young! Materials available in print are on the resource order form.
Lessons and Materials
- Grow It, Try It, Like It! Fun with Fruits and Vegetables at Family Child Care Provide garden-based nutrition education for children ages 3 through 5 years old in family child care settings.
- Grow It, Try It, Like It! Nutrition Education Kit Featuring MyPlate Introduce preschool children to fruits and vegetables with fun activities at your child care center or child care home.
- The Great Garden Detective Adventure
Engage in a series of investigations and fun experiences to discover what fruits and vegetables are sweetest, crunchiest, and juiciest. Use this eleven-lesson curriculum for 3rd and 4th grades. Only available online.
- Dig In! Standards-Based Nutrition Education from the Ground Up
Explore a world of possibilities in the garden and on your plate using ten inquiry-based lessons that engage 5th and 6th graders in growing, harvesting, tasting, and learning about fruits and vegetables.
- Plant It, Grow It, Eat It!; Healthy Habits Take Root
Get tips from the Team Nutrition Popular Events Idea Booklet on how to start a school garden. School gardens can help increase students’ awareness of where foods come from and increase their preferences for fruits and vegetables.
- Dig In! Posters
Order these six posters to display in your classroom, the school cafeteria, and throughout the school to motivate students to choose more fruits and vegetables at meals and as snacks
Celebrate National Farm to School Month in Early Care and Education Settings: Farm to CACFP
|Planting the Seeds for Healthier Eating||Plant It, Grow It, Eat It!; Healthy Habits Take Root||Help young children learn about sweet
Potatoes & how they grow
|Fuel up with Veggies…Zoom to the Finish!||A-Maze-ing Light||Time for Strawberries|