FNS has announced two grant opportunities under the Team Nutrition Training Grant Program that will help state agencies implement job-skills training programs focused on addressing identified state and local needs impacting the quality of school meals. Up to $9 million dollars in grant funds are expected to be awarded in FY 2019.
The Team Nutrition E-STAR Training Grant provides funding for states to train school nutrition managers using the E-STAR training program, an enhanced version of the Institute for Child Nutrition’s STAR (School Nutrition Strategies, Training, Action Plans, and Resources) training program that focuses on school meal quality. This grant enables states to:
- Support school nutrition managers in goal setting and implementing an action plan with strategies to improve school meal quality and students’ perception of school meal quality.
- Provide extensive professional development training for school nutrition professionals (53 hours for managers, and 4 hours for frontline staff).
- Award sub-grants to School Food Authorities to implement strategies that improve meal quality.
- Assist in the development of evidence-based training for school nutrition professionals.
- Receive recognition for grant activities in FNS presentations, reports, social media, etc.
- Participate in a rigorous evaluation of a job skills training program.
State agencies that administer the National School Lunch Program may submit an application in response to this solicitation.
There are two FY 2019 Team Nutrition Training Grant opportunities: Team Nutrition Training Grant for Innovative State Training Programs and the Team Nutrition E-STAR Training Grant. Each state may submit only one application on behalf of all interested child nutrition state agencies within that state and may apply to only one of the two aforementioned Team Nutrition Training Grants. States that submit applications for both grant opportunities will not be considered.
- Letter of Intent Due: April 15, 2019
- Application Due Date: 11:59 PM ET on June 2, 2019
- Anticipated Award Date: September 2019