It’s back to school season! Team Nutrition is happy to join the excitement of schools, teachers, school nutrition professionals, students, and families to start a new academic year. It’s a time for students to meet new friends, reconnect with old classmates, learn new skills, and build knowledge. Let’s embrace this season and make it the best, by having fun and staying healthy.
- Set up a resource table to remind families that nutrition and physical activity support better learning at school. Download these free Team Nutrition materials for your table:
- Eat Smart to Play Hard with MyPlate poster (Request printed copies*)
- What You Can Do To Help Prevent Wasted Food
- A Guide to Smart Snacks in Schools (Request printed copies*)
- MyPlate Grocery Store Bingo
- Kids Food Critic Activity
- Create Your Own MyPlate Menu
- Healthier Middle Schools: Every Parent Can Help (Request printed copies*)
- Recipes for Healthy Kids: Cookbook for Homes
- Invite families to taste samples of new and/or local food offerings that will be part of this years’ school lunch or breakfast menu. Use these fun taste test ballots to record peoples’ favorites and have school nutrition professionals on hand to answer questions. Share these handouts about how school meals help meet kids nutrition needs:
- Take families on a tour of your school garden (or the location where your school plans to plant a school garden). This is the perfect time to talk about eating local and recruit people to help with weekend watering, weeding, etc. Check out our many free school garden resources.
- Adorn the walls of your school with messages that communicate your support for healthy food and beverage choices. Schools participating in the National School Lunch Program can request a number of free nutrition posters from Team Nutrition using this order form.
- Provide information about your school’s wellness policy and how parents and students can participate on any school or district wellness committees. Share this energizing video with parents. Highlight any upcoming school-wide events that promote nutrition and physical activity, such as family fun nights or a family breakfast. Get free event ideas and resources here.
Get free activity ideas & family handouts from @TeamNutrition for yr school's #backtoschool night www.teamnutrition.usda.gov
*Printed copies of these materials are available to schools participating in the National School Lunch Program.