About Team Nutrition Schools
What We Do
The United States Department of Agriculture (USDA), Food and Nutrition Service’s Team Nutrition Initiative supports national efforts to promote lifelong healthy food choices and physical activity by improving the nutrition practices of School Meal Programs. Team Nutrition wants to sustain a strong network of schools working together towards a healthier environment disseminating Team Nutrition messages and materials.
Team Nutrition Schools Share These Common Values
- We believe that children should be empowered to make food and physical activity choices that reflect the Dietary Guidelines for Americans.
- We believe that good nutrition and physical activity are essential to children's health and educational success.
- We believe that school meals that meet the Dietary Guidelines for Americans should taste good and appeal to children.
- We believe our programs must build upon the best science, education, communication, and technical resources available.
- We believe that school, parent, and community teamwork is essential to encouraging children to make food and physical activity choices for a healthy lifestyle.
- We believe that messages to children should be age appropriate and delivered in language they speak, through media they use, in ways that are entertaining, and actively involve them in learning.
- We believe in focusing on positive messages regarding food and physical activity choices children can make.
- We believe it is critical to stimulate and support education and action at the national, State, and local levels to help children develop healthy eating and physical activity behaviors.
Why Should Your School Join the Team?
Signing up to be a Team Nutrition School is free and easy. All schools participating in the National School Lunch program can sign up. We ask that schools designate a Team Nutrition Leader and have the support of their school nutrition director and school principal. By signing up, schools will:
- Affirm their commitment to helping students make healthier food choices and be more physically active.
- Have the opportunity to collaborate with other Team Nutrition Schools.
- Be the first to hear about new nutrition education and training materials developed under the Team Nutrition initiative.
- Receive special nutrition education and promotion materials.
- Have the opportunity to be highlighted on Team Nutrition social media and in print publications. See our Team Nutrition Popular Events Idea Booklet for examples.
Team Nutrition School application is part of the Team Nutrition initiative.
Learn more about Team Nutrition!