Local Process: How to Develop, Implement, and Evaluate a Wellness Policy
School Year 2016-2017 Action Steps for Local Educational Agencies, Districts, and Schools
- Review the Final Rule and Summary of the Final Rule.
- Establish wellness policy leadership of one or more LEA and/or school official(s) who have the authority and responsibility to ensure each school complies with the policy. Make sure the position title of the policy leader is available to the public. A best practice is to include contact information.
- Build or re-engage your district wellness committee making sure to invite the various stakeholders to be involved. The stakeholders can include parents, students, SFA representatives, teachers of physical education, school health professionals, the school board, school administrators, and members of the general public.
- Continue reviewing and assessing local wellness policies and implementing new requirements.
- Glean implementation ideas from schools that have successfully put wellness policies into action.
- Consult the resources on the Implementation Tools and Resources page.
- Continue to inform and update the public about the content, implementation, and assessment of wellness policies.
- Keep supporting documentation on file as LEAs will be held accountable for local school wellness policy implementation, assessment, and public updates.
Through a unified accountability system mandated by the Healthy, Hunger-Free Kids Act of 2010, the Administrative Review provides for robust review and evaluation of school meals programs and program operations during a 3-year cycle. The scope of monitoring may require the state agency to assess how the local educational agency implements its local school wellness policy responsibilities. Districts should keep the following supporting documentation on file:
- A copy of the current local school wellness policy
- Documentation demonstrating the local school wellness policy has been made available to the public
- The name and title of the school official responsible for developing, implementing, and monitoring the wellness policy
- Documentation of the district’s efforts to review and update the local school wellness policy, including an indication of who is involved in the update and methods the district uses to make stakeholders aware of their ability to participate
- A copy of the district’s most recent assessment on the implementation of the local school wellness policy
- Documentation demonstrating the district’s most recent assessment on the implementation of the local school wellness policy has been made available to the public