Skip to main content

Summer Grocery Benefit for Kids

SUN Bucks is a new grocery benefit available across most of the U.S. Families with eligible school-aged children can get $120 per child to buy groceries during the summer. SUN Bucks may have a different name depending on your location.

Families can receive SUN Bucks on top of other benefits like SNAP and WIC, and children can continue to enjoy free SUN Meals from local meal sites or with SUN Meals To-Go.

SUN Bucks logo in color

How to Get SUN Bucks

If you’re already enrolled in benefits like SNAP, TANF, or FDPIR, your school-age children will automatically be enrolled in SUN Bucks if it’s available where you live. Also, if your child attends a school that offers the National School Lunch Program or School Breakfast Program (NSLP/SBP), and your household income meets the requirements for free or reduced-price school meals, your child may automatically be enrolled in SUN Bucks.

If you are NOT automatically enrolled, you can apply for SUN Bucks directly. To qualify, you must meet income limits and other requirements.

Once you’re enrolled, SUN Bucks may be automatically added to your SNAP account, issued as a separate electronic benefit transfer (EBT) card, or sent in other ways depending on where you live.

Participating Tribes/States/Territories

Select your tribe or location on the map to find out if SUN Bucks is available where you live and for more information on how to apply.

To operate the program an agency must have an approved plan.


   Plans to participate.

   Tribes within the state are participating.

   Not participating.

   Cherokee Nation

 (also serving Muscogee Nation)

   Chickasaw Nation

(also serving Choctaw Nation, Muscogee Nation, and Seminole Nation)

AL AK AZ AR CA CO CT DE DC FL GA HI ID IL IN IA KS KY LA ME MD MA MI MN MS MO MT NE NV NH NJ NM NY NC ND OH OK OR PA RI SC SD TN TX UT VT VA WA WV WI WY AS GU CNMI PR USVI Mountain Plains Region Midwest Region Northeast Region Mid-Atlantic Region Southeast Region Southwest Region Western Region

SUN Bucks not available where you live?

Fuel your kids’ potential with other SUN Programs! SUN Meals are available at schools, parks, and other locations across the U.S. And in some rural areas, kids can get SUN Meals To-Go.

SUN Bucks FAQs

What can I buy with SUN Bucks?

You can use SUN Bucks to pay for:

  • fruits and vegetables
  • meat, poultry, and fish
  • dairy products
  • breads and cereals
  • snack foods and non-alcoholic drinks

You cannot use SUN Bucks to purchase:

  • hot foods
  • pet foods
  • cleaning or household supplies
  • personal hygiene items
  • medicine
Where can I use SUN Bucks?

Many grocery stores, farmers’ markets, convenience stores, and online retailers accept SUN Bucks. Often, these are the same places that accept SNAP and WIC. Use the SNAP Retailer Locator to find stores near you.

How do I know if my child is eligible for SUN Bucks?

Your child is eligible, if:

  • They are school-age and your household already participates in benefits like SNAP, FDPIR, or TANF
  • Your child attends a school that offers the National School Lunch or School Breakfast Program, and your household income meets the requirements for free or reduced-price school meals.
How do I apply for SUN Bucks?

Many families will get SUN Bucks automatically if they are getting other benefits, but some families may need to apply for the program. To apply, start by clicking on the map above to be directed to information specific to where you live.

If you need to apply, you will be asked to provide information such as your child’s name, school, date of birth, and home address. You will also be asked to report your household income. You will not need to provide information such as social security numbers or proof of citizenship.

Do I have to be a U.S. citizen to apply for SUN Bucks? 

You do not need to be a U.S. citizen to apply and qualify for SUN Bucks.
Applying for or receiving SUN Bucks does NOT affect the immigration status of your children or family. It will NOT affect your ability to:

  • Remain in the United States
  • Get a Green Card/Permanent Legal Resident Status
  • Keep a Green Card/Permanent Legal Resident Status, or 
  • Become a U.S. Citizen

Resources for Program Operators and Partners

Page updated: June 21, 2024