Skip to main content

Restaurant Meals Program

The Restaurant Meals Program (RMP) is a state option to allow certain SNAP clients, who might not be able to prepare meals for themselves or who do not have permanent housing for storing and preparing food, to be able to buy prepared meals at restaurants with their SNAP benefits.

Which SNAP Clients can use their SNAP Benefits at Restaurants?

To be eligible for the RMP, SNAP clients must be certified for SNAP in a state that has an RMP and all members of the household must be either:

  • Elderly (60 years of age or older);
  • disabled (receives disability or blindness payments or receives disability retirement benefits from a governmental agency because of a disability considered permanent);
  • homeless; or
  • a spouse of a SNAP client who is eligible for the RMP.

Which Restaurants can Participate in the RMP?

To participate in the RMP, the restaurant must:

  • Be in a state that has an RMP.
  • Get approval from the state and provide a signed agreement to FNS.
  • Be authorized by FNS to accept SNAP benefits.

Each state can set their own requirements for choosing how many and which restaurants they want to allow to participate in their state's RMP. For more information, please contact the RMP contact for your participating state listed below.

If you are a restaurant owner that has a signed agreement with the state and is ready to apply for SNAP authorization, you will need to submit a completed FNS 252-2 application to FNS.

Mail your complete application package and your signed RMP agreement to the following address:

Retailer Service Center
USDA Food and Nutrition Services
PO Box 7228
Falls Church, VA 22040

For questions about the SNAP authorization process, contact the FNS Retailer Service Center at:

Is the Restaurant Responsible for Determining which SNAP Clients are Allowed to Use their SNAP Benefits at Restaurants?

No. SNAP clients who are eligible will have an electronic benefit transfer (EBT) card that is coded by the state to allow their cards to be accepted at participating restaurants. An EBT card will automatically be declined if the SNAP client is not eligible.

What Kind of Equipment do Restaurants Need to Accept SNAP benefits?

Restaurants must have a point-of-sale (POS) device that is programmed to accept EBT cards. If your restaurant already uses equipment that accepts credit/debit cards, you can contact your third-party processor (TPP) to ask about adding EBT to your service.

States that Operate a Restaurant Meals Program

Family Assistance Administration (FAA) Systems
Phone: 602-774-9284
Judith Potter-Brown
Assistant Director, Emergency Food Programs and Special Projects
Phone: 410-767-5504
New York
Susan Zimet
NYS Food and Anti- Hunger Policy Coordinator
Phone: 518-949-3700
Phone: 916-651-8047
Lorraine Ward & Deborah Grace Email: (
Rhode Island
Providence and Washington Counties Only
Bethany Caputo
Phone: 401-559-7077
Cook and Franklin Counties Only
Ron Delay
EBT Program Director
Phone: 217-720-4107
Email: mdhhs-restaurantmealprogram@
Tainesha Crute
SNAP Program Consultant Sr. (Community Engagement)
Phone: 804-726-7400


Page updated: July 03, 2024