The following are examples of accessory food items, and is not intended to be an exhaustive list.
Snack and Dessert Food Items
- Potato, corn, wheat, tortilla, pita, and vegetable chips, crisps, sticks, and straws; onion ring snacks; corn nuts; snack mixes; crackers; pork rinds; pretzels; pre-popped or un-popped popcorn; and cheese puffs or curls;
- Doughnuts, brownies, cupcakes, cookies, snack cakes, muffins, pastries, sweet rolls, pies, cakes, pudding, churros, scones, gelatin desserts, and any packaged mixes intended to create any of the aforementioned products;
- Mints, chocolate, marshmallow, gum, toffee, brittle, fudge, marzipan, nougat, candy bars, and candy of all kinds;
- Ice cream, ice milk, frozen yogurt, custard, whipped cream, sherbet, sorbet, gelato, granita, Italian ices, frozen carbonated beverages, snow cones, and ice pops; and
- Any food product with a main ingredient that appears on this list or other agency guidance as an accessory food item.
Food Items that Complement or Supplement Meals
- Powdered, dried, or extracted spices or seasonings;
- Baking soda and baking powder;
- Sugar, honey, maple syrup, aspartame, molasses, high fructose corn syrup, and any other natural or artificial sweeteners;
- Soda pop, sports or energy drinks, iced tea, fruit punch, mixers for alcoholic beverages, water, and all other carbonated or uncarbonated beverages (except milk, plant-based milk alternatives, and 100% fruit or vegetable juice);
- Monosodium glutamate, sodium nitrate, olestra, and any other food additives or any food product that is edible but non-caloric and non- digestible;
- Vegetable oil, olive oil, shortening, lard, safflower oil, and any other solid or liquid oils or fats (except butter and butter substitutes);
- Ketchup, mayonnaise, salad dressing, hot sauce, mustard, vinegar, relish, horseradish, chutney, duck sauce, marmite, and all other condiments;
- Vanilla extract or other flavor extracts and cooking wine;
- Gravy and bouillon; and
- Any food product with a main ingredient that appears on this list or other guidance as an accessory food item (except infant formula).
The contents of this document do not have the force and effect of law and are not meant to bind the public or FNS in any way. This document is intended only to provide clarity to the public regarding existing requirements under the law or agency policies.