SNAP Model Notice Toolkit
The Model Notice Toolkit is a set of tools designed to help SNAP State agencies improve the notices they send to clients. The toolkit is designed to help State agencies evaluate their SNAP notices and make targeted improvements that fit the needs of their clients, work within system constraints, and comply with Federal policy. The toolkit includes model notices with examples of plain language and formatting that State agencies can adapt to fit their own needs.
The toolkit also provides customizable tools to help promote continuous improvement practices. These tools focus on five types of SNAP notices: the notice of missed interview, notice of denial, notice of expiration, notice of requested verification, and notice of expedited approval with postponed verification. However, many of the tools will also be helpful in making changes to other types of notices.
For each of the five types of notices, the following components are provided:
1. Notice Review Tools (NRT): These are checklists for evaluating SNAP notices. They include Federal requirements, as well as comprehension, readability, usability and presentation principles, and electronic notice (e-notice) considerations.
2. Model Notices: These sample notices illustrate policy compliance and communication best practices.
3. Annotated Model Notices: These are versions of the model notices with comments to highlight, at a glance, how the sample notice meets SNAP policy requirements and considerations for State customization.
Notice of Denial
- Denial for Failure to Complete the Interview Model Notice
- Denial for Failure to Complete the Interview Model Notice (Annotated)
- Denial for Income Model Notice
- Denial for Income Model Notice (Annotated)
- Denial for Verifications Model Notice
- Denial for Verifications Model Notice (Annotated)
- Simplified NRT Denial
Notice of Expiration (NOE)
Notice of Missed Interview (NOMI)
Notice of Postponed Verification
- Postponed Verification Model Notice
- Postponed Verification Model Notice_Annotated
- Simplified NRT - Postponed Verification
Notice of Requested Verification
- Requested Verification Model Notice
- Requested Verification Model Notice_Annotated
- Simplified NRT - Requested Verification
Project Support Materials
These materials include a notice improvement team charter, a Plan-Do-Study Act (PDSA) form, a communication plan worksheet, and a list of notices performance measures.