SNAP publishes rules following the enactment of new law or when we need to clarify existing rules or policies. Here you can find recent rules and supporting content concerning fraud investigations, penalties for Intentional Program Violations, and more.
This final rule requires:
- Actions by states regarding prisoner verification and death matching procedures;
- Use of electronic disqualified recipient data to screen all program applicants prior to certification; and
- Implements procedures concerning state participation in a computer matching program using a system of records required by the Computer Matching and Privacy Protection Act of 1988, as amended.
This final rule changes rules related to the Food Distribution Program on Indian Reservations (FDPIR) regarding, among other things:
- SNAP benefit use by recipients, e.g., purchase of products that have container deposits;
- purchase, by retailers, of products originally purchased by clients with SNAP benefits and re-sold to stores in exchange for cash or other non-eligible items; and
- retailers taking possession of SNAP client cards and PINs, using the SNAP benefits to purchase stock for the store, and subsequently returning the card and PIN to the client with cash or other non-eligible items provided in exchange for having used the SNAP benefit.
This final rule requires states to monitor electronic benefit transfer (EBT) card replacement requests and send notices to those clients under certain circumstances.
This memo clarifies a final rule, SNAP Trafficking Controls and Fraud Investigations, to explain that upon its effective date, Federal law takes precedence and states were expected to implement the new federal trafficking definition.
This memo announces the approval of an Information Collection Request (ICR) related to a final rule, SNAP Trafficking Controls and Fraud Investigations. OMB Control Number 0584-0587 has been assigned to this ICR.