This rule finalizes provisions of the proposed rule entitled Review of Major Changes in Program Design and Management Evaluation Systems, which was published May 3, 2011.
This final rule amends the Supplemental Nutrition Assistance Program (SNAP) (formerly the Food Stamp Program) regulations to implement section 4116 of the Food, Conservation and Energy Act of 2008 (FCEA). Section 4116 of the FCEA, Review of Major Changes in Program Design, requires USDA to identify standards for major changes in operations of state agencies' administration of SNAP.
The provision also requires state agencies to notify the Department if they implement a major change in operations and to collect and report data that can be used to identify and correct problems relating to integrity and access, particularly for certain vulnerable households. This final rule establishes criteria for changes that would be considered "major changes" in program operations and identifies the data state agencies must report in order to identify problems relating to integrity and access. It also sets forth when and how state agencies must report on the implementation of a major change. This rule also amends Management Evaluation (ME) Review regulations by modifying the requirements for state reviews. The rule revises the definitions of large, medium and small project areas. Finally, it removes sections of the regulations pertaining to coupons and coupon storage since they are obsolete.
- Review of Major Changes in Program Design and Management Evaluations – Additional Clarifying Guidance (7/27/2016)
- Review of Major Changes in Program Design and Management Evaluations – Additional Guidance (4/22/2016)
- Review of Major Changes in Program Design and Management Evaluations – Additional Guidance and Questions and Answers (2/11/2016)
- Implementation Memo: SNAP Review of Major Changes in Program Design and Management Evaluation Systems (1/19/2016)
- Major Changes Notification Template
- Major Changes Quarterly Reporting Template
- Major Changes Quarterly Reporting Template for Call Center Modifications