Skip to main content
U.S. flag

An official website of the United States government

SNAP - Changes in Combined Application Project Benefit Allotments due to the Consolidated Appropriations Act 2021

Resource type
Policy Memos
Resource Materials
PDF Icon Policy Memo (159.29 KB)
DATE: January 29, 2021
SUBJECT: SNAP – Changes in Combined Application Project (CAP) Benefit Allotments due to the Consolidated Appropriations Act, 2021
TO: Regional Offices
Supplemental Nutrition Assistance Program

The Consolidated Appropriations Act, 2021 increases Supplemental Nutrition Assistance Program (SNAP) benefits by raising maximum allotments to 115 percent of the June 2020 value of the Thrifty Food Plan (TFP); effective from Jan. 1, 2021 until June 30, 2021. This increase caused the maximum benefit allotment for a one-person household to go up $30, and for a two-person household to go up $56. States that operate Combined Application Project (CAP) issue all participants a standardized benefit amount (or shelter amount), with FNS approval. States have asked how to adjust the base benefit allotment for CAP households to account for the temporary increase.

For the period beginning Jan. 1, 2021 and ending June 30, 2021, states should increase base CAP benefits for all households by $30 for one-person households and by $56 for all two-person households (if applicable). If a state operates a CAP using a standard shelter amount rather than a standard benefit amount, the state should work with FNS to determine what the shelter amount should be adjusted to in order to properly account for the temporary increase in benefits. These adjustments are necessary in order for state CAP projects to properly track emergency allotments.

States are currently required to report to FNS the value of emergency allotments issued separately from the value of regular SNAP benefits. The same is true for CAP benefits. The $30/$56 increase to the base CAP benefit should be reported as a regular SNAP benefit, and the additional benefit issued in order for the household to receive the maximum allotment under emergency allotments should be reported as an emergency allotment.

Regional offices should ensure that states with CAP projects are apprised of these changes. State agencies with questions should contact their respective regional office representatives.

Sasha Gersten-Paal
Program Development Division

Page updated: April 05, 2023