Recognizing Excellence in Nutrition and Physical Activity
Two Awards - Less Paperwork
When it comes to celebrating the great work being done in your school building, paperwork should not get in the way! That’s why the Alliance for a Healthier Generation’s Healthy Schools Program (HSP) and the USDA’s HealthierUS School Challenge: Smarter Lunchrooms (HUSSC: SL) are working together to help you earn two awards with a streamlined approach.
The Alliance and USDA both have similar goals when it comes to school wellness: more fruits and vegetables, more whole grains, healthier snacks, more nutrition education and increased physical activity throughout the day. Make sure your school gets the recognition you deserve by receiving national recognition from both HUSSC: SL and HSP!
An Alliance Healthy Schools Program award recipient at the bronze level or higher, has already met the HUSSC: SL criteria at the bronze level. Submit an HSP certificate as documentation, along with pages 1, 3, 16 and 18 (page 17, when appropriate) of the HUSSC: SL application, to receive your additional award. Applications and documentation must be submitted to your State Child Nutrition Agency. Download the application.
To achieve the HUSSC: SL silver, gold, or gold award of distinction level, visit HSP to learn what portions of the application you can bypass using your National Healthy Schools Program certificate.
As of the 2014-15 school year:
- HSP Bronze schools automatically qualify for HUSSC: SL Bronze certification
- HUSSC: SL certified schools automatically qualify for HSP Bronze in the following categories:
- School Nutrition Services
- Smart Snacks in School
- Health/Nutrition Education
- Let’s Move! Active Schools automatically qualify for HUSSC: SL Bronze in the following categories:
- Physical Education
- Physical Activity
For existing schools already recognized by HSP or certified by HUSSC: SL (before 2014-15):
HUSSC: SL certified schools automatically meet HSP in:
- School Nutrition Services (bronze only)
- Health Education (bronze only)
HSP recognized schools automatically meet HUSSC: SL in:
- School Meals (bronze only)
- Physical Education (any level)
- Physical Activity (any level)
- Nutrition Education (any level)
Get started with the HealthierUS School Challenge: Smarter Lunchrooms and the Healthy Schools Program today!