Request for Applications: Direct Certification Improvement Grants (CFDA#: 10.579)
FNS invites State agencies that administer NSLP and SBP to apply for a Direct Certification Improvement Grant to fund the costs of improving their direct certification rates with the Supplemental Nutrition Assistance Program (SNAP) and other assistance programs, as allowed under Federal statute and regulations. Under this RFA, approximately $4.5 million is available for grants to NSLP State agencies to fund direct certification improvement projects.
Two types of Direct Certification Improvement Grants are available:>
1) Tier 1 Grants: up to $150,000 for limited-scope planning and implementation projects, and
2) Tier 2 Grants: up to $1,000,000 for full-scope implementation projects.
|May 4, 2015||RFA Release Date|
|July 15, 2015||Application Submission Deadline|
|Oct. 15, 2015||Application Submission Deadline|
|Jan. 15, 2016||Application Submission Deadline|
|April 15, 2016||Application Submission Deadline|
|July 15, 2016||Application Submission Deadline|
Who May Apply
This RFA is extended to all state NSLP agencies. However, a state agency may apply for only one grant during the RFA period. Additionally, please note the following items associated with the 2015 RFA:
- All NSLP state agencies are eligible to apply for Tier 1 Direct Certification Improvement Grants even if they were awarded grants under previous direct certification grant RFAs. However, applications must clearly demonstrate the State's need for grant funds to enable it to reach and maintain SNAP direct certification rates at the 95% level.
- All NSLP state agencies are eligible to apply for Tier 2 Direct Certification Improvement Grants. State agencies applying for a second Tier 2 award or that have direct certification rates with SNAP that are already at 95% or higher, must present a compelling case in their application proposals as to why additional funds are necessary for improvements in their direct certification system or processes for them to reach and/or maintain rates at or above the mandated 95% benchmark.
Application Due Date
Under the 2015 RFA, states will have five opportunities to apply for Tier 1 or Tier 2 grants beginning July 2015 and ending July 2016 (pending availability of funds). The complete application must be uploaded on www.grants.gov by 11:59 PM, Eastern Time of the scheduled on the scheduled RFA due date. Applications received after the deadline date will be held until the following review period. FNS will not consider any additions or revisions to an application once it is received. FNS will not accept mailed, faxed, or hand-delivered applications. If you have any questions regarding the extension of this grant opportunity, please contact Grant Officer Carla Garcia at Carla.Garcia@fns.usda.gov.
Summaries and Reports
- Direct Certification Improvement Grant Summaries and History
- Evaluation of Demonstrations of National School Lunch Program and School Breakfast Program Direct Certification of Children Receiving Medicaid Benefits: Access Evaluation Report
- National School Lunch Program Direct Certification Improvement Study