The Food Distribution Program on Indian Reservations (FDPIR) provides USDA Foods to income-eligible households living on Indian reservations and to Native American households residing in designated areas near reservations or in Oklahoma. USDA distributes both food and administrative funds to participating Indian Tribal Organizations and state agencies to operate FDPIR. These Indian Tribal Organizations and state agencies determine applicant eligibility, distribute the foods, and provide nutrition education to recipients.
Tribal organizations who are interested in distributing USDA Foods in their community should contact their FNS regional office to learn how to become an FDPIR administering agency.
FDPIR Food Package
FDPIR offers a monthly food package with a variety of nutritious foods, including fruits, vegetables, proteins, legumes, grains, dairy, soups, and traditional foods. The FDPIR Food Package Review Work Group reviews the FDPIR food package on an ongoing basis, with the goal of revising offerings to better meet the nutritional needs and food preferences of program participants. The following links provide more information about the foods and the overall composition of the food package.
- USDA Foods Available List for FDPIR
- FDPIR Food Package Review Work Group
- USDA Foods Product Information Sheets and Recipes
- Product Specifications
- Eligible Vendors
USDA DoD Fresh Fruit and Vegetable Program
Most FDPIR sites participate in the USDA DoD Fresh Fruit and Vegetable Program. FDPIR participants in these locations can select fresh produce in place of canned fruits and vegetables. The following links provide more information about the USDA DoD Fresh Program and the produce options available.
- USDA DoD Fresh Fruit and Vegetable Program
- Fresh Fruits and Vegetables Order Receipt System (FFAVORS)
- Video: Logistics on Location: In Support of Native Americans - highlights the two-decade partnership between USDA and DoD to bring fresh produce to FDPIR
- Webinar: USDA DoD Fresh Fruit and Vegetable Program: The Basics for FDPIR (6/26/17)
- Webinar: Best Practices for Receiving USDA DoD Fresh in FDPIR (4/26/18)
- Webinar: Best Practices for Receiving USDA DoD Fresh in FDPIR, Part Two (5/24/18)
- USDA Market News for Specialty Crops
- National Association of Food Distribution Program on Indian Reservations (NAFDPIR) Annual Conference Presentations
- Study of the Food Distribution Program on Indian Reservations
- FDPIR Administrative Match Waiver for Substantial Burden Memorandum