The purpose of Equipment Assistance Grants is to distribute funding allocations provided by the Agriculture Appropriations Act. State agencies competitively award equipment assistance grants to eligible school food authorities (SFAs) participating in the National School Lunch Program (NSLP).
These funds will allow SFAs to purchase equipment to serve healthier meals that meet the updated meal patterns, with emphasis on more fruits and vegetables in school meals, improve food safety, and expand access.
State agencies must award these grants via a competitive grant process to SFAs, giving priority to high need schools (i.e., schools in underserved areas, schools with limited access to other resources, and age of food service equipment) where 50 percent or more of the enrolled students are eligible for free or reduced price meals.
NEW! USDA/FUTP60 2016 Grants Initiative
Since 2009, USDA has awarded $215 million in school nutrition equipment grants, including $30 million being announced today. This year, Fuel Up to Play 60, who has provided more than $22 million in funds to schools throughout the country, is joining USDA’s effort by providing an additional $5 million through a separate, but concurrent, grant application process.
Schools can apply for USDA funding through their state, or for funds from Fuel Up directly through the organization’s website. For more information, please see the updated memo and links below.
- 2016 USDA memo
- FY 2016 State Allocations
- FUTP60 funding page
- Press release
- RO Checklist for Reviewing SA NSLP Equipment Grant Proposals
- FNS Standard Terms and Conditions
- FNS-529: Grant/Cooperative Agreement
- FNS-529 and Terms and Conditions Instructions
- 2 CFR Part 200.33 Equipment
- 7 CFR Part 210.21
- 2 CFR Part 200.317 through 326
- Federal Financial Report SF-425
- Food Program Reporting System (FPRS)
○ User Access Request Form FNS-674
- 2015 NSLP Equipment Assistance Grants