What are healthy food choices? What is a balanced diet?
Serving Up MyPlate is a collection of classroom materials that helps elementary school teachers integrate nutrition education into Math, Science, English Language Arts, and Health. This yummy curriculum introduces the importance of eating from all five food groups using the MyPlate icon and a variety of hands–on activities. Students also learn the importance of physical activity to staying healthy. Curriculum components:
- Teacher’s Guides: Each Teacher's Guide has three inquiry-driven lessons that help children discover nutrition, explain their understandings, and reflect upon their experiences - all of which encourage a lasting awareness of what it means to be healthy.
- Original Songs: Each level includes activities using original songs that help students learn about healthy choices in an engaging and memorable way. Lyrics are included in each of the Teacher's Guides.
- Poster: This two-sided poster (36"x24") shows the MyPlate icon and foods in the five food groups. A blank MyPlate on the reverse can be used as a tool to assess students' understanding.
- Mini Poster: This two-sided mini poster (8-1/2"x11") shows the Myplate icon on one side and foods in the five food groups on the reverse.
- Eat Smart to Play Hard with Myplate Mini-Poster, and Alimentate bien para jugar con ganas (Spanish)
- Print Availability: Elementary schools participating in the National School Lunch Program or other Child Nutrition program may use the Resource Order Form to request free print copies of the English and Spanish mini-posters in packages of 35.
- Parent Handout: This colorful handout (4-page booklet) for parents reinforces the class lessons at home. It's available in English, Spanish, Chinese, and French.
- MyPlate at Home, MiPlato en casa (Spanish), MyPlate at Home (Traditional Chinese), and Mon assiette à la maison (French)
- Print Availability: The printed Teacher’s Guides come with a package of 35 MyPlate at Home handouts in English and a single copy of MyPlate at Home in Spanish. Elementary schools participating in the National School Lunch Program or other Child Nutrition program may use the Resource Order Form to request additional free print copies of the parent handout in English (packages of 35), Spanish (packages of 35), Chinese and/or French.
- Additional Games and Resources (Extra Helpings): Each lesson includes ideas on how to extend the learning beyond the lesson.
Share Your Stories! Team Nutrition is interested in hearing about your experiences with the materials. Your descriptions of successes and challenges help us create resources that better meet your needs. Email us!