School Year 2013-2014 Action Steps for Local Educational Agencies, Districts, and Schools
- Review memo on wellness policies
- Continue reviewing and assessing local wellness policies and implementing new requirements
- Consult the resources on the Implementation Tools and Resources page
- Continue to inform and update the public about the content, implementation, and assessment of wellness policies
- Keep Supporting Documentation on file as LEAs will be held accountable for local school wellness policy implementation, assessment, and public updates
Through a unified accountability system mandated by the Healthy, Hunger-Free Kids Act of 2010, the Administrative Review provides for robust review and evaluation of school meals programs and program operations during a 3-year cycle. The scope of monitoring may require the State agency to assess how the local educational agency implements its Local School Wellness Policy responsibilities. Districts should keep the following Supporting Documentation on file:
- A copy of the current Local School Wellness Policy
- Documentation demonstrating the Local School Wellness Policy has been made available to the public
- Documentation of the district’s efforts to review and update the Local School Wellness Policy, including an indication of who is involved in the update and methods the district uses to make stakeholders aware of their ability to participate
- A copy of the district’s most recent assessment on the implementation of the Local School Wellness Policy
- Documentation demonstrating the district’s most recent assessment on the implementation of the Local School Wellness Policy has been made available to the public
Federal Regulation Process
- A proposed rule is expected to be published in the Federal Register in early 2014.
- A final rule will be published in the late 2014.
This portion of our site will be updated regularly to reflect requirements of the 2010 Law.