Team Nutrition (TN) Training Grants for Healthy Meals have been identified in USDA's National Strategic Plan for Training and Technical Assistance as one of the anchor delivery systems for supporting the implementation of USDA's nutrition requirements and the Dietary Guidelines for Americans in meals
served in schools and child care
institutions. TN Training Grants
offer funding to State agencies
to establish or enhance
sustainable infrastructures for
implementing Team Nutrition's
goal of improving children's
lifelong eating and physical
The efforts by State agencies receiving TN Training Grants have resulted in:
- Training and technical assistance on the
Dietary Guidelines for Americans and
- Training and technical assistance to help schools take the
HealthierUS School Challenge.
- Many Child Nutrition Program foodservice personnel receiving training and technical assistance to enable them to prepare and serve nutritious meals that appeal to students.
- The use of many USDA developed TN materials to assist foodservice staff in serving nutritious meals that meet the Dietary Guidelines for Americans.
- Focusing on efforts to improve students' fruit and vegetable consumption.
- Creating a healthy school environment using Team Nutrition resources.
- Collaborating with other State agencies and organizations to achieve the Team Nutrition goal and to assist school districts in
implementing and evaluating Local Wellness Policies.
- Many mini grants to local school districts to assist their efforts to promote healthy eating and physical activity.
- Efforts to integrate nutrition education into students learning content standards, including trainings and workshops provided to teachers.
- Many childcare children and school age students enjoying healthier school/childcare meals and,
along with their parents and caregivers, are exposed to current, relevant, and
fun nutrition information and activities.