The purpose of this grant is for State agencies to expand and enhance their training programs that incorporate and implement the 2010 Dietary Guidelines for Americans and USDA Foods in meals served under the National School Lunch Program (NSLP) or the Child and Adult Care Food Program (CACFP). States must apply Team Nutrition’s three behavior-focused strategies in their proposals:
- Provide training and technical assistance to school nutrition foodservice professionals to enable them to prepare and serve nutritious meals that appeal to students.
- Provide fun and interactive nutrition education for children, teachers, parents and others caregivers.
- Build school and community support for creating healthy school environments that are conducive to healthy eating and physical activity.
Critical Dates for 2014 Training Grants
|April 4, 2014||Intent to Submit an Application due to FNS|
|May 9, 2014||Applications due to FNS|
|September 2014||TN Training Grants awarded|
Who May Apply
State agencies that administer the NSLP and/or the CACFP may apply.
Novice States are those that have not received Team Nutrition Training Grants for the past 3 fiscal years. Novice applications will receive an additional 5 points.
Funding and Duration
Up to $5.5 million is anticipated in Fiscal Year 2014 for TN Training Grants. Approximately $2.5 million will be set aside to provide non-competitive grants (up to $50,000) to State agencies that commit to specific strategies to increase the number of schools implementing Smarter Lunchroom strategies. Up to $350,000 may be requested through a competitive grants process. State agencies wishing to apply for both a competitive and a non-competitive grant may apply for up to $350,000, cumulatively. For example, a State may apply for a $50,000 non-competitive grant, but they would then only be eligible to apply for up to $300,000 in competitive funding; the maximum amount a State may request is $350,000. The submission of an application for a non-competitive grant guarantees funding, provided the application meets all the required criteria. The submission of an application for a competitive grant does NOT guarantee funding for a competitive grant.
Funding for approved TN Training Grants will be provided through the Grant Award/Letter of Credit process, in the same manner as other Federal funds, upon receipt of a properly executed Federal-State TN Training Grant Agreement and subject to availability of funding. All TN Training Grant funds must be obligated.
Application Due Date
The completed application package must be uploaded on www.grants.gov at or before 5:00 PM Eastern Daylight Time (EDT) on May 9, 2014.
Submission of Application
FNS will not accept applications sent via U.S. Mail, e-mail, or fax.
1. Submit application by www.grants.gov - This is a government-wide web site designed for electronic submission of applications/proposals. We advise that you allow ample time to familiarize yourself with the system's requirements. You will need both a Data Universal Number (DUNS) and a Contract Registry Number (CCR) to access the system. You can contact Dun and Bradstreet at 1-800-234-3867 to obtain a DUNS number if you do not have one already. Applicants should verify their CCR status and renew registration if needed. You can check CCR status at http://www.ccr.gov. Please be aware that the Grants.gov system provides several confirmation notices; you need to be sure that you have confirmation that the application was accepted.
Please be aware that the www.grants.gov system provides several confirmation notices; you need to be sure that you have confirmation that the application was accepted.
2. Late applications will not be considered in this competition. We will not consider additions or revisions to applications once they are received.
3. Applications submitted without all the required supporting documents, forms, certification, and signatures will not be considered for competition.
4. Applications should clearly indicate submission of a competitive or non-competitive application, or both.
All questions regarding the application should be referred to Leslie Byrd via e-mail at email@example.com.
- Training Grant Request for Applications
- Letter of Intent to Apply (fillable PDF)
- Application Cover Sheet (fillable PDF)