For more than 40 years, the Supplemental Nutrition Assistance Program (SNAP) has served as the foundation of America’s national nutrition safety net. It is the first line of defense against hunger and offers a powerful tool for improving nutrition among low-income people. SNAP is the federal name for the program. State programs may have different names.
This page is for State and county personnel who are working to improve the effectiveness and efficiency of SNAP in their States If there is something you would like to see on the page, you can email us at PRGDEV-WEB@fns.usda.gov.
- USDA Recognizes States for Exceptional Nutrition Assistance Service
- Performance Bonuses by Year:
- Payment Accuracy
- Application Processing Timeliness
- Program Access Index
- Final Rule: High Performance Bonuses (02/07/05)
- Report: Calculating the Program Access Index: A Step-By-Step Guide (10/2007)
- Memo: Calculating the Program Access Index with the American Community Survey
- Access Index: The American Community Survey vs. the Current Population Survey
- Program Access Toolkit 2013 – A Guide for State Agencies on Improving Access to SNAP
- Outreach - Providing program information to increase access
- Payment Accuracy - Ten important practices that improve and sustain payment accuracy
- Managing Workload - During time of limited resources and rising caseloads
- Survey of High Performing States in Application Processing Timeliness
- The Elderly Simplified Application Project (ESAP) Guide – Reference materials and best practices for the ESAP demonstration waiver.
- The Elderly Simplified Application Project (ESAP) Request Template – A template for use by States to request an ESAP waiver.
- Management Evaluation - Federal and State Target Areas for FY 2016
- Management Evaluation - Federal and State Target Areas for FY 2015
- Management Evaluation - Federal and State Target Areas for FY 2014
- Management Evaluation - Federal and State Target Areas for FY 2013
- State Agency Operations Review: Management Evaluation Target Areas for FY 2012
- State Agency Operations Review: Management Evaluation Target Areas for FY 2011
Combined Application Projects
- Benefit Adjustments in Combined Application Projects (Aug. 14, 2008)
- Combined Application Projects: A Resource Guide (Updated March 2005)
- Combined Application Projects: Cost Neutrality Guidance for Project Approval
- FY 2015 Recipient Integrity Information Technology Grant
- FY 2015 SNAP Process and Technology Improvement Grants
- FY 2014 SNAP Recipient Trafficking Prevention Grant Program
- FY 2014 SNAP Process and Technology Improvement Grants
- FY 2013 SNAP Process and Technology Improvement Grants