State/Local SNAP Agencies Outreach Toolkit
The State/Local SNAP Agencies Outreach Toolkit provides a comprehensive overview of how program offices can work with community and faith-based organizations to increase awareness of SNAP benefits. When reviewing your toolkit, don’t forget to check out our new cultural competency or disaster outreach materials
How to Milk This Toolkit for All It’s Worth!
Your introduction to the toolkit, it includes statistics, facts and figures about the SNAP, key messages and talking points. It also lays the groundwork for how State and local SNAP offices can work with community and faith-based organizations.
- About This Toolkit
- Overview of SNAP
- Fact Sheet
- Frequently Asked Questions
- Talking Points and Messages
- Questions and Suggested Answers
Hook ‘Em, Then Reel Them In
Step-by-step instructions and examples of how to maximize outreach efforts by developing partnerships, including suggestions for different types of partners, activities for potential outreach, and ideas to gain community involvement
- Developing and Maintaining Partnerships
- Potential Partners
- Activities for Potential Outreach Partnerships
- Get Involved
- Partner Letter Template
- Partnership Agreement Letter Template
- 10 Ideas for Retailer SNAP Outreach
- Sample Flyer
- Sample Mailer Inserts
Cultural Competency: A Dash of Diversity, a Medley of Outreach Ideas
Find practical explanations as to the importance of effective SNAP outreach across cultures. This section also includes tips and tools for getting to know those in your community as well as resources for working effectively with minority media to increase awareness of SNAP.
- The Right Thing: The Importance of Effective Food Stamp Outreach Across Cultures
- Getting To Know Your Community: How To Conduct a Needs Assessment
- The Right Messengers: Breaking Down Barriers With Community Partners
- The Right Materials for Diverse Audiences
- Getting to the Root of It: How To Work With Minority Media
- Culturally Competence & Customer Service
Plant the Seeds, Reap the Benefits
An overview of promising practices with real life examples. Provides a system to submit your agency’s lessons learned, what your organization has tried, what worked and what didn’t.
Disaster Outreach: The Heat Is On – Reaching Out After a Disaster
Learn about the Disaster SNAP and how it differs from the regular Supplemental Nutrition Assistance Program. Review 10 easy steps to help your organization plan for outreach before a disaster strikes as well as 10 tips for increasing awareness of, and delivering, food stamp benefits in the wake of a disaster
- What Is the Disaster Food Stamp Program (DFSP) and How Does It Operate?
- 10 Steps To Plan for DFSP Outreach
- 10 Ideas for DFSP Outreach
- Web-Based Resources
- Sample Press Release
A Bundle of Resources and Information
Learn about free FNS resources including the Community Hunger Champions DVD. Also includes lists of regional FNS contacts, in case you need additional technical assistance.
- Outreach Materials From USDA
- Web Resources
- Footnotes From Introduction
- National and Regional SNAP Outreach and Media Contacts
- To download the complete State/Local SNAP Agencies Outreach Toolkit please click here
Video: “Community Hunger Champions: Helping People Eat Right When Money’s TightThis 7-minute film will show you how community-based organizations and SNAP offices can work as a team to increase SNAP participation. You can use this video in many different ways. For example, use it to introduce a project idea to a new partner. Use it as a motivator in staff meetings. Use it to explain your work to potential supporters.
TemplatesThe toolkit contains a number of ready-to-use templates to customize for your outreach activities. Download These Additional Pieces to Complete Your Toolkit: