As part of the National Response Framework, FNS’s Food Distribution Division has the primary responsibility of supplying food to disaster relief organizations such as the Red Cross and the Salvation Army for mass feeding or household distribution. Disaster organizations request food and nutrition assistance through State agencies that run USDA’s nutrition assistance programs. State agencies notify USDA of the types and quantities of food that relief organizations need for emergency feeding operations.
- FAQs about Food Assistance in Disaster Situations
- Q&As about Food Distribution Policies and Procedures
- Child Nutrition Program Disaster Policies
- USDA Foods Program Disaster Manual
- Where to Apply for Food Distribution Disaster Assistance
- The Food Bank Response to Disasters
Other Useful Federal Links
- USDA FNS Office of Emergency Management
- USDA FNS Contacts
- Farm Service Agency Disaster Assistance
- FEMA State Emergency Management Agencies
- USDA Foods Hold and Recall Procedures
- Tips for handling food following a disaster
For more information about Disaster Assistance available in your area, please contact your State or Indian Tribal Organization.