While establishing your Farm to School efforts is an exciting process, it is important to have a thorough understanding of the requirements and policies that are involved with purchasing local food items.
Understanding USDA procurement regulations and policy (as well as any State and local requirements) will help you to ensure that your local food purchases meet the requirements and, also, provide an understanding of how to procure local food items that best fit your needs at the lowest price.
To assist you in making sound purchasing decisions, below is a list of important references related to USDA’s procurement regulations and policies for the Child Nutrition Programs.
- USDA Procurement Regulations
- Uniform Administrative Requirements for State, Local and Non-Profit Organizations
- Procurement Methods
- Geographic Preference Option
- Final Rule: Geographic Preference Option
- Developing Product Specifications
- USDA Online Procurement Training
- FNS Policy Memos
- Procurement Policy FAQs