- Chef Resources Page
This website showcases various publications and training materials from USDA’s Team Nutrition. The materials are designed to teach students and/or school foodservice staff the basics of nutrition.
- USDA Recipes for Child Care This resource is a USDA publication consisting of a booklet and 2 CD-ROMs. The booklet describes how to work with recipes food safety information, and much more. One CD-ROM includes a Supplemental Information technical assistance piece that has tips for cooking, preparation, and storage. A bonus CD of USDA’s Food Buying Guide for Child Nutrition Programs is also included.
- Building Quality Meals: Standardized Recipes and Portion Control
This satellite seminar, developed by the National Food Service Management Institute for USDA, explores the process of defining standardized recipes and portion controls as essential tools in a local child nutrition program. Topics include the process of implementing standardized recipes, associated culinary terms and techniques, and the elements of equitable portion control.
- Cooks for Kids
This is a series of satellite training programs from the National Food Service Management Institute that demonstrates healthful cooking techniques. Available for free, the training includes handouts, brochures, and discussion guides.
- Culinary Techniques for Healthy School Meals
The National Institute for Food Service Management Institute provides this free series of trainings to help school food service prepare healthier school meals and includes information about nutrition, food production and culinary techniques.
- Healthy Cuisine for Kids
This free hands-on training program from the National Institute for Food Service Management is intended to be presented by the school food service manager to school food service staff and focuses on the development of culinary techniques. Materials include Instructor Manual, Participant Manual, Culinary Manual, Pre-Seminar Manual, and PowerPoint slides.
- Practical Skills for Preparing Quality Meals: A Five Step Process
This National Food Service Management Institute resource teaches the five steps to preparing nutritious meals that look and taste good. This resource includes information on food production, standardized recipe, use of proper culinary techniques, and more. The resource includes six lessons, an instructor's guide, participant's workbook, and six video lessons.
- RECIPE for Growing Healthy Children: Child Care Culinary Workshop
The Indiana Department of Education’s Division of School and Community Nutrition Programs created this resource for child care food service staff. This on-line training provides information on planning and preparing meals and snacks that comply with the Dietary Guidelines and My Pyramid. It is available both in print materials and instructional videos.
For more information, visit our Implementing Farm to School webpage.