The Fiscal Year 2008 Omnibus Appropriations Act, which was signed into law December 26, 2007, extends the cost accounting procedures commonly known as the “Simplified” Summer Food Service Program. Twenty-six States and Puerto Rico have been operating under the simplified procedures. This Act extends these simplified procedures to all sponsors in all States.
Beginning January 1, 2008 all SFSP sponsors will receive the maximum “meals times rates” operating and administrative reimbursements without regard to their actual costs.
Sponsors may combine their reimbursements to pay for any allowable cost, whether operating or administrative. Under these new procedures:
- Sponsors do not have to report their costs to the State agency, although they must maintain records for the State agency’s review,
- Costs do not have to be categorized as “operational” or “administrative”, and
- Reimbursement is based on “meals times rates”, without comparison to actual or budgeted costs.
Provided below is guidance applicable to States in implementing these changes.
- Nationwide Expansion of SFSP Simplified Cost Accounting Procedures (1/2/2008)
- Simplified Summer Food Program - Memorandum date June 29, 2005, and attached Questions and Answers
- Report to Congress