USDA provides a free or reduced-priced lunch to 22 million children during the school year. But once school lets out for summer break, only about 2.5 million children receive a meal (about 1 in 10). Children are at a higher risk of going hungry during the summer months.
The Summer Food Service Program (SFSP) can help to fill the summer meal gap for low-income children. Faith-based, community and private non-profit organizations can make a difference in the lives of hungry children by serving meals with SFSP, a Federally-funded program administered by States that reimburses organizations for meals served to children during the summer. Schools, churches, recreation centers, playgrounds, parks, and camps can serve meals in neighborhoods with high percentages of low-income families. These are safe and familiar locations where children naturally congregate during the summer.
The USDA Food and Nutrition Service is offering free webinar sessions on the SFSP, so you can learn more about the need, the program, and how you can help. The sessions will review the program, cover resources and tools available to help you get started, highlight successful programs and outreach practices from around the country, and will conclude with an open question and answer period with USDA FNS staff.
A teen enjoys a healthy meal at a summer site sponsored by the Boys and Girls Club of Ada County, Idaho. The site offers lots of activities like mural painting, community gardening, and basketball tournaments that attract older children.
To learn more about the SFSP, please register to participate in one of our upcoming free webinar sessions:
- Tuesday, 12/13, 11:00am - 12:00pm EST - Public Session
- Thursday, 12/15, 1:00pm - 2:00pm EST - Public Session
- Monday, 12/19, 11:00am - 12:00pm EST - Public Session
- Wednesday, 12/21, 2:00pm - 3:00pm EST - FNS Outreach Coalition
- Wednesday, 1/4, 2:00pm - 3:00pm EST - Public Session
- Wednesday, 1/11, 5:00pm - 6:00pm EST - Public Session
- Tuesday, 1/24, 6:00pm - 7:00pm EST - Public Session
- Thursday, 2/2, 11:00am - 12:00pm EST - Public Session
- Thursday, 2/23, 3:00pm - 4:00pm EST - Public Session
Registration Link: http://vovici.com/wsb.dll/s/17fb9g4d8da
To learn more about the Summer Food Service Program, please visit: www.summerfood.usda.gov.