The National School Lunch Program
Background and Development
By Gordon W. Gunderson
School food service programs such as we have in 1971 did not just happen
overnight nor even during the past decade. Preceding today's programs is a long history of more than a hundred years of development, of testing and evaluating, and of constant research to provide the best in nutrition, nutrition education, and food service for the nation's millions of children in school.
Gunderson, a native of Wisconsin, was elected in the fall of 1939 to
represent the U S Department of Agriculture to supervise its program in
Wisconsin of distributing donated commodities to establish school lunch
programs During World War II his duties also included the administration
of war food programs in the State.
Upon passage of the
National School Lunch Act in 1946 he was elected to administrate the
school lunch program for the Wisconsin Department of Public Instruction. He was also the administrator of the commodity distribution program
for schools, institutions, needy households, summer camp, and other
eligible outlets. The
Special Milk Program was
inaugurated in 1954 and was added to his supervision.
Gunderson retired on Dec. 31, 1969 after serving over 30 years in the
development and expansion of the school food service program in Wisconsin