FNS supports State flexibility in designing SNAP E&T programs that fit the needs of the local economy and SNAP Participants. This page is specifically devoted to resources that States may use in developing and implementing E&T programs for SNAP participants.
|E&T Plan Handbook|
This page is for State and county personnel who work with SNAP applicants to help them find work.
The Personal Responsibility and Work Opportunity Reconciliation Act of 1996 added separate work rules and restrictions for able-bodied adults without dependents (ABAWDs). Basic work rules are covered in 7 CFR 273.7. The ABAWD rules are covered in 7 CFR-273.24. Both sections of the rules can be found by visiting our rules page. Policy on ABAWDS can be found on the ABAWDs page.
SNAP E&T Related Policy
- Joint USDA-ED Letter: Encouraging SNAP Participants to Complete the Free Application for Federal Student Aid (FAFSA) (June 1, 2016) and FAFSA Flyer for Local Agencies
- Interagency Letter to Promote the Use of Career Pathways in Federal Education and Training Programs (March 9, 2016)
- Joint USDA-DOL Letter: Partnering to Help Connect Low-Income Able-bodied Adults to the Public Workforce System (March 31, 2016)
- Interim Rule: SNAP Employment & Training Program Monitoring, Oversight, and Reporting Measures
- SNAP E&T Outcome Reporting Interim Final Rule Questions and Answers Part I (July 26, 2016)
- Implementation Memo: SNAP E&T Program Monitoring, Oversight, and Reporting Measures
- Incorporating Job-Driven Elements into SNAP Employment and Training Programs (Dec. 16, 2015)
- Zero benefit households and Employment and Training Services
- Employment and Training Education Components – Allowable Costs and Federal Reimbursement (March 18, 2010)
- SNAP - Funding Education Components in the Employment and Training Program (May 27, 2009)
- Clarifications of the American Recovery and Reinvestment Act of 2009 - Employment and Training - Questions and Answers #7 (May 21, 2009)
- Employment and Training Questions FY 2009 (Apr. 8, 2009)
- Farm Bill 2008 Q&As: Employment & Training
- Implementing a Mini–Simplified Food Stamp Program to Replace Food Stamp Work Requirements with TANF Work Requirements (Aug. 25, 2006)
-- Q&As on Implementing a Mini–Simplified Food Stamp Program
-- Notification template
- Final Rule: Employment and Training Provisions of the Farm Security and Rural Investment Act (June 9, 2006)
- E&T Program Activity Report form, Form FNS-583
- Q&A Package on E&T Financial Policy